Did anyone see Pregnant in Heels this week? At first I thought the show looked really dumb when they were advertising for it, but Rosie Pope has grown on me and I’ve actually gotten some tips by watching. In this week’s episode, I felt like I could have been both of her clients wrapped into one. The first one was deathly afraid of hospitals, needles, the delivery, all of it. She also was adamant that she did not want to breastfeed. The second client was one who had lost her mother and felt like she had no one to turn to during her pregnancy for advice. I was really excited to watch and see how Rosie dealt with both of them, especially the one with bad anxiety.
At first she took her to a breastfeeding class, which I have to say, made me uncomfortable just watching. The client was obviously uncomfortable too and did not change her mind. This might surprise you, but I’m a little weirded out by breastfeeding. I am definitely going to give it a try, but at this point, it seems a little odd to me. The second thing Rosie did with the client was take her to a one-on-one birthing class. Towards the end of the session, the instructor brought out the IV catheter – no needle though and showed her where it would be placed on her arm. I was intently watching the client’s eyes and could tell she was getting very nervous and eventually broke down into tears. This is so me. I don’t think anyone truly understands the fear I have of hospitals and needles. I am so this lady. I can’t tell you what it is or why I’m like this, but they scare the shit out of me. I have gotten better over the last year with JJ giving me injections in my stomach and having to get multiple blood draws, but I still don’t like it. I get very nervous up until the time it’s over. I am very nervous about having the IV in while I’m at the hospital. And here’s a stupid question – does a needle stay in your arm the whole time you have the IV in? I was a bit confused by that part of the show.
Last Rosie introduced her to a doula. Again, the client felt out of place and awkward doing the exercises and I have to agree I would have felt the same. Then she had to have blood drawn and the doctor came to her at the doula’s place of work to try and make her more comfortable. The doula helped her with some breathing techniques and she did pretty good, better than ever before. I was a bit disappointed they didn’t show more of the client right before she delivered, but they did have some home footage or something of her getting her IV and a few times during the labor. And of course the mom is fine, has a healthy baby, AND is breastfeeding! I hope that’s the story I’m able to tell also.
The other client didn’t focus too much on the death of her mother, other than the fact that she lost her at a young age to cancer. She has a mad love for animals and was afraid she wouldn’t be able to connect to a baby as well as she does with the animals. Rosie pointed out that even though her mother is no longer here, she definitely does have the maternal instinct with the animals, and that will be even stronger with her baby. And sure enough, she was right. I do feel a bit lost at times and so wish I had my mom to ask various questions of. Not many of my friends have had kids either so I’m kind of going into this blind. But I have decided it’s in our best interest to take a class at the hospital so we have some idea of what we are getting into before the baby arrives and will hopefully make both JJ and I a bit more comfortable. Anyway, I just couldn’t believe when I turned the episode on and she introduced her two clients, how it felt like the show was made for me. Guess it was a sign, right mom? :)
I have been loving Pregnant in Heels, mainly because Rosie is going through IVF so I have a soft spot in my heart for her. I also lost my mom and there are times I wish I could call her and ask her what to do and I'm sure I will always feel like that.
ReplyDeleteAs someone who is petrified of needles- I just wanted to tell you that I survived a c-section with iv, catheter, drain, spinal etc. Nothing was horrible (Yet after when it was all done they came to take blood the next day and I almost had a heart attack). The needle does not stay in your arm with the IV, the catheter does. It does not hurt once it is in but it takes some getting used to. You will forget it is there and if you dont have a csection they take it out pretty fast!
ReplyDeleteI saw it! I also thought it turned out better than expected.
ReplyDeleteDid you know Rosie recently had a baby boy?
Rosie has 2 boys now. On the show she's going through IVF and an eptopic pregnancy. But, those shows were taped a while back. She's already given birth to a baby boy since those shows taped.
ReplyDeleteI've totally gotten into that show too! I haven't seen this weeks episode yet. Sounds like a good one.
ReplyDeleteI can also TOTALLY relate to the needle thing!! My biggest phobia in life is IV's. It's pretty weird because I can literally sit without a problem and watch shows with doctors elbow deep in blood and guts all day, but the second they go to put the IV in I can't look! Blood tests used to be the same, but with all the IF stuff, I've gotten... "better". I've had 2 IV's in my life and passed out with both. In all honesty, despite the fact that I'll be having 2 babies, and there's a good chance that I'll be having a c-section, the thought of the IV is the only thing that really scares me!!
ReplyDeleteI am also weirded out by breastfeeding...I love the idea of it and want to try, but the thought of something sucking on me every 2 hours worries me. I didn't realize that the whole nipple goes in the babies mouth...I thought it was just the tip...Hmmmm..looks like I have LOTS to learn!
ReplyDeleteI was really weirded about about breastfeeding as well. The thought of a baby attached to my breast seems weird. But now that I'm doing it it seems normal, and I'm mad that I have a low supply so I may not be able to do it for long. And I actually prefer nursing him over pumping now.
ReplyDeleteAs for the IV, no a needle does not stay in your arm. Just a thin tube will remain there.
I've been watching that show as well... it's definitely interesting. I'll leave it at that for now. :)
ReplyDelete