Thursday, May 26, 2011

Fashion Show

I have been on a mission to find a pair of maternity jeans that actually fit – and aren’t $200.  I was given a few pair by my boss and then I bought a pair at a consignment shop.  Both fit OK, until I wore them a few times, and just felt off in them.  And after JJ about spit out his toothpaste when he saw me with a pair on last week, I decided those just wouldn’t do anymore.  

I had to run errands during lunch today so I went over to Gordmans to see what they had.  I went in telling myself I would spend up to $50 but no more than that.  Hell, I don’t spend $50 on regular jeans so I sure wasn’t going to do it on jeans I would only wear for a few months.  I started grabbing some off the rack and went to the dressing room.

To my surprise, the first pair fit great!  I looked at the price tag and realized it was torn off.  Then I remembered seeing an expensive pair on the rack ($78) and thought those were probably them.  I thought I had looked at the prices as I grabbed each pair, but apparently not.  Then I tried on the four other pair I had brought in with me, and none of them looked good.  

I went back to the rack to check on the price of the pair I liked, and sure enough they were the expensive ones.  I put them back and started walking towards the checkout with the shorts I planned to buy.  On my way there, I remembered I had a 20% coupon in my purse.  I quickly did the math and that brought the price of the jeans down to $63.  It was still more than I had planned to spend, but I was dying without a good pair of jeans and we are allowed to wear jeans to work on Fridays so I decided to splurge.  

I got to the counter and the jeans rang up $54.  Normally at Gordmans they have “their price” and “our price” on the tag, but the jeans didn’t.  I thought maybe that was just the sale price, but I didn’t question it.  Then the worker said that normally they can’t use coupons on maternity clothes because they are Motherhood brand and they just rent out space in the store, so Gordmans doesn’t get anything for the sale, but she was 3 months pregnant herself and knew how ridiculous the prices can be on maternity clothes, so she let me use it.  My $78 jeans quickly became $48 jeans.  Score!  I came in under my $50 budget.

Just to show you my struggle, I took pictures in the two different pairs of jeans I have that I’ve been wearing, plus the pair I just bought to show you the difference.  Hopefully you’ll see the difference too and not think I’m crazy! I didn't mean for my head to be cut off, but the photos were re-sized funny when I put them in the collage.

 This is the pair that I bought from the consignment shop.  I don't think they are too bad, but JJ thinks they look like pajama pants. I don't like that there are no pockets - even fake ones in front.
 This is the pair from my boss. Look how poofy they are in the hip/thighs and by the pockets.
 And this is the pair that I bought today!  My ass doesn't look that great in them, but they are by far the best out of the three in my opinion.  I'm not a fan of the full panel, but I can always roll that down. 


8 comments:

  1. Definitely a good purchase!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, you're too cute.

    I think you'll like the first two better as you continue to "expand." :) The new pair looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The new ones look great! The ones from your boss are definitely a disaster lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm currently 28 weeks (and 1 day) pregnant, with a girl as well, and I HATE maternity clothes. I mean, I really, really loathe them. Especially the pants. What's with all the additional space in the rear end? SO unflattering. Which is why I have sworn off of pants for the rest of the summer and have been living in non-maternity dresses and skirts with tees and tanks (because for whatever reason, some idiot decided all maternity clothing needs to be tent-like). At my last check-up, I weighed in with a total of 12 lbs gained, which I think is primarily belly and boobs, so I've been fortunate enough to be able to get away with larger sizes in non-maternity clothing. Which is a great alternative, but kudos to you for finding a pair of really decent jeans. I gave up that quest a couple of months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love when a good deal (or under budget purchase) happens, yay! The new jeans look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can definitely tell a difference...they look really good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely like the new ones. You are just too tiny. That is the problem. :)

    ReplyDelete