Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Dreaded Announcement

I promised you not all of my posts would be about pregnancy, but I just feel like I have a lot to catch up on.  One thing I wanted to include in my blog was how we announced our news on FB.  I know most of us have anxiety when it comes to putting the news out there in such a big way.  The only people who knew before the FB update went up were my dad, brother, my dad's side of the family and a couple close friends who knew of our struggles.  I had also told my department at work that day and a few other people at work had found out.  One friend I sent a private text message to because she had been going through IVF and I wanted to reach out to her personally.  She appreciated it and I was glad to have told her that way.

Even though we kept our struggles private, I knew that once we finally had good news to share, I wanted to somehow mention that we had dealt with IF.  I didn't want to put it all out there, but just a subtle hint of what we had gone through.  So I really thought about how I wanted to announce it.  I found a video back in December that I fell in love with.  It was actually created for a reproductive center and I thought it was perfect for what I wanted to do. 

So my FB was simple.  "We believed...and are having a baby later this summer!"  And I posted this video.



I don't know how many people actually watched the video, but based on a few comments I got like, "the wait is so worth it", I think people did.

Once you deal with infertility, you can never go back.  It never goes away – it’s always a part of you.  I still can’t bring myself to say “I’m pregnant” out loud.  Now as some stragglers are hearing the news or asking what the congratulations are for, I find that my response is “we’re having a baby.”  I just don’t feel like I’m ‘one of them’ yet, and honestly I don’t know if I ever will.  The IF community is where I felt safe – you all are so warm and comforting and understand our struggles.  Now to be pregnant, it’s like the heartache never even happened to those that don’t know.  But…I’m embracing this new phase in our life and living one day at a time – so thankful that our time has arrived.  Our goal is to bring home a healthy baby, so we still have a long road ahead.

10 comments:

  1. What a beautiful video, and a great way to share your news on FB. I hope that someday when I get my BFP, I'll feel ready to be open about our IF struggles...it's the only way to educate those who just don't get it and to fight for better legislation to get insurance companies to realize that this really is a disease that they need to cover! I'm so happy you finally got your BFP. :)

    -ps, when is your actual due date?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's a fabulous way to share the news!! I still haven't come out on facebook, yet, and I'm pushing the 21 week mark. Something about it just feels so off... But whenever I do I know that I want to somehow pay homage to what we've been through...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly how you feel. It is very strange to be in the IF world and then get pregnant - I'm still not sure where I fit in. I also don't think I will every just be another pregnant woman because IF stays with you. Even now when I find out people are pregnant and hardly had to try, it hurts. BUT... you will find the comfortable place in your pregnancy. We announced on FB at 18 weeks when we found out gender and I think it's about that time that I decided I was actually pregnant and things were going to be okay. :)

    SO happy for you! I love that video. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This made me teary. Ahhh hormones are fun! Yeah I was super reluctant to annouce it to anyone (other than our close family and my bloggie friends) and here i am weeks away from meeting my baby and there is still this strange uncertainty about it. Like I could wake up tomorrow and have imagined it all. I am so happy your time has come and I can't wait to hear all about your pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well that video is certainly fitting! What a beautiful song and classy way to post your pregnancy on FB. So happy for you and this new adventure in your life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was so thoughtful of you to announce you were having a baby on FB in that way...so respectful

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great respectful way to announce your pregnancy on FB. Congrats again!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 2 things- I stole the post you did from FB- I remembered you doing it and loved it so much!

    and... I stopped at the gas station to pee on the way home from KC on Saturday- the BBQ smelt wonderful but my stomach says no:)

    ReplyDelete